Saturday, February 28, 2015

Ellie's Young Life Story

https://indianapolis.bracketsforgood.org/
Click the image above to support Young Life and to continue the life-changing work in the lives of students, just like Ellie.  


While serving for a week in Memphis over our Fall Break in a neighborhood, trying to clean up a park for people to hangout at and so kids are allowed to go outside more. I met this sweet 9 year old boy who was extremely interested in all we were doing and loved showing off his back flips for us.


1. Why do you love Young Life?
“I love Young Life because of the people. Everyone has a story and I love getting to know their stories. I keep coming back because Young Life has led to the most amazing friendships and best friends in my life.

2. Who is your Young Life leader and what have you learned from them?
“Mallory Valentine has been my Young Life leader for four years, while I have experienced love and friendship from so many leaders. I really consider all of the adults my leaders. They all have this powerful love and interest for me and all the other kids. It’s absolutely the coolest thing to watch and be apart of. But Mallory has taught me so much, every question and fear I have ever had she's helped me understand and conquer with the strength of God.”

3. If you had to describe Young Life in one word, what would it be?
“POWERFUL- the reason being is because its had to the ability to shape who I am today, a me who I absolutely love being.”

4. Describe your life before you got involved with Young Life and what impact it’s had on your life since.
“Before I got involved with Young Life, my life was overwhelming with stress and trying to become someone who I am not. Since I’ve gotten involved with Young Life, my life is filled with love. The friendships that I have made while being apart of Young Life for 6 years now, are indescribable; sometimes I have a hard time explaining it. Young Life has allowed me to meet my life long best friends. People who I NEVER thought I would be friends with, have influenced and impacted me in ways that have helped shape who I am forever, which I am very grateful for.”

5.  How has your experience with Young Life changed the way you think about your future?
“I think 5 events with Young Life really have influenced me. WorkCrew, which was volunteering for a month for free at a YL Camp, being a WydLife leader, which is mentoring the middle school students, and going on the three mission trips, to Red Hook and Memphis twice. I have been able to plan three of those trips and being such a huge part of the events I feel has made me who I am today. Understanding the reward and the hardships that come along with all of these events has really inspired me. I’m a senior and soon I will be off in college and I plan on majoring in Non- Profit Management. Having the ability to impact others for the rest of my life, even if it’s in the smallest way, is what I have a passion for. If I never would have attended Young Life I don't think I would want to purse this career path. So with that, I am grateful for every memory, friendship and story that has affected me and will for the rest of my life.


Becca (on the left), my best friend that I met at Work Crew, volunteering for a month at YL Camp, and Ruthie, a camper we met and became super close to while at Timberwolf Lake- YL Camp.

Peaking a mountain in Colorado on YL's Wilderness summer trip with my best friends.

Our first mission trip to Brooklyn, NY over Fall Break. We were serving at a church and then they served us with lunch!

My middle school, WyldLife girls attacking me with shaving cream at WyldLife Camp!


No comments:

Post a Comment